Wednesday 16 March 2011

Finding Ithaqua

(1)   A Deviant Challange

A follower of my deviant art profile challenged me to create an image of Ithaqua. This name sounded familiar but it was only until I researched it that it was one of H.P. Lovecraft's creations from the Call of Cthulu Mythos. So I accepted the challenge and set about creating a an conceptual art piece of this Wind Walker of the Icy Wastes but not only that, Im going to record through this post the process I go through as an artist to achieve this, although I consider myself an amateur and would greatly appreciate any feed back through its development.

(2)    Research

After some extensive reading and web browsing, I have a fairly good idea what Ithaqua looks like or rather how I want it to look. The main description of it being necrotic, with huge hand like wings, an icy horrible giant, webbed feet with a heart of ice, an kind of an air elemental? A lot of difeerent stories and authors contibute to H.P. lovecrafts creature but my aim is to keep it closer to the orignal description set by the challenger.


(3) Initial Concept Sketches


(4) First Attempt
(5) Second Attempt
(6) Development

No comments:

Post a Comment