Saturday 21 July 2012

From Creepy to Cartoony

After giving it (too) much consideration and looking towards more locally based companies I have decided to develop a more cartoonic and stylised approach to my work both in regard to 3D and 2D since my work has a lack of...fun, happiness and jolly good joy, where as the dark, brooding and monstrous elements may not be as appealing or marketable as i would have wished. This is also to address the lack of fundamental, even basic 3D elements in my portfolio at present but also the lack of variety in 2D aspects and having plenty of cartoon and comic sketches scribbled on paper around me it makes sense to advance this style/skillset further to a point where it is not only fun to do but also self promoting in regards to employment. In context to games it's ideal, as my main 3D skills lie within having a low poly count and simplistic texturing, also it will give me the chance to practice basic animation within Maya which I have been waiting to do for a long time, although for now just some render snapshots will be fine. So whilst I listen to the darker tunes of bands like Danzig and Rammestein I will try to remember fond childhood memories of FraggleRock or Rupert the Bear as I draw, paint and model, somehow I think something scary/creepy will sneak its way in and it'l look like something out of Watership Down: the directors cut. Anyhow in closing, I don't like to leave a post without a picture so heres a quick coloured sketch of some plant people (a bit creepy...again).



No comments:

Post a Comment